For information or assistance call: Silena Shuta, Acting Victim Witness Coordinator Hudson County Prosecutor's Office at 201-795-6508
Office of Victim Witness Advocacy
County Administration Building 595 Newark Avenue Jersey City, New Jersey 07306
- Assistance with completion of "Victims of Crime" compensation application.
- Referral to self-help groups.
- Referral for psychological counseling.
- Referral to social service agencies.
- Property return assistance.
- Assistance with requests for restitution.
- Assistance with Victim Impact Statements.
- Presentation to Schools, Civic Groups, Business, Senior Citizen, PTA Groups.
- Crime prevention assistance.
- Employer/creditor assistance.
- Accompaniment to courtroom.
- Child care services during court appearance, if necessary.
- Private victim or witness waiting area.
Crime Victim's Bill of Rights
- To be treated with dignity and compassion by the criminal justice system.
- To be free from intimidation.
- To medical assistance if, in the judgment of the law enforcement agency assistance appears necessary.
- To make at least one telephone call from the police station provided the call is reasonable in both length and location called.
- To have inconveniences associated with participation in the Criminal Justice Process minimized to the fullest extent possible.
- To be informed about the Criminal Justice Process.
- To be informed about available remedies, financial assistance, and social services.
- To submit a written statement about the impact of the crime to a representative of the County Prosecutor's Office which shall be considered prior to the prosecutor's final decision concerning format whether criminal charges will be filed.
- To be advised of case progress, final disposition, bail and parole notification.
- To be notified before a plea is taken and to have input.
- To be provided a secure, but not necessarily separate waiting area during court proceedings.
- To be notified if presence in court is not needed.
- To the prompt return of property when no longer needed as evidence.
- To be compensated for their loss whenever possible.
- To make an in-person statement directly to the Sentencing Court concerning the impact of the crime. This statement is to be made in addition to the statement permitted for inclusion in the Probation Department's Pre-sentence Report.
Helpful Telephone Numbers and Information
- Americans with Disabilities Assosciation
- AIDS Hotline
- Citizen Action Line
- Child Abuse Hotline
- Child Support Hotline for Already Established Cases
- Christ Hospital Mental Health Center
- Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired
- Division for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Division of Youth and Family Services
- Domestic Abuse Hotline
- Family Crisis Intervention Center (Children Hospital)
- Family Helpline
- Food Stamp Information
- Let's Celebreate - Food Network
- Women Rising
Municipal Court Contact Information
Bayonne Municipal Court
630 Avenue C
Bayonne, NJ 07002
Phone: 201-858-6918, 6919, 6920, 6922
East Newark Municipal Court
36 Sherman Avenue
East Newark, NJ 07029
Guttenberg Municipal Court
6808 Park Avenue
Guttenberg, NJ 07093
Harrison Municipal Court
318 Harrison Avenue
Harrison, NJ 07029
Hoboken Municipal Court
94 Washington Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030
Jersey City Municipal Court
365 Summit Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07306
Kearny Municipal Court
404 Kearny Avenue
Kearny, NJ 07032
North Bergen Municipal Court
4225 Bergen Turnpike
North Bergen, NJ 07047
Secaucus Municipal Court
1203 Paterson Plank Road
Secaucus, NJ 07094
Union City Municipal Court
3715 Palisade Avenue
Union City, NJ 07087
Phone: 201-348-5763, 5764, 5765, 5766
Weehawken Municipal Court
400 Park Avenue
Weehawken, NJ 07086
Phone: 201-319-6027, 6028
West New York Municipal Court
428 60th Street
West New York, NJ 07093